Here are positive and negative examples:
- Use some effects to make your sound more airy. In the video, I used delay. You can also use tremolo.
- Use fills that aren't showy. Stick to simple and slow ones.
- Play broken chords more often. The pianist is having enough trouble tying the music together, give a hand!
- Flow with the band and worship lead. Your job is to enhance what is already present, and not to stand out like a sore thumb.
- You'll drown out the pastor if you use a tone that is sharper than the pastor's voice. Lower your highs, and use less or no distortion.
- Don't ever play blues! Bluesy riffs sound great because they are showy. It'd attract far too much attention.
- Don't use bends, as they are showy and sound sharper and too aggressive.
- If you're using distortion, don't do too much strumming and double notes as these sound strong.
You can use the following mp3 to practice, its a really nice song called Over and Over by Paradise Community church, highly recommended!
If there are more suggestions, pls leave a comment, and I'll add it to the list.